IMPORTANT: Updates, Alerts and Bulletins      Select Community --->


my community:


Back to Support

Frequently Asked Questions  

Many issues can be resolved here on our FAQ page. Look through the subjects listed below to find simple answers and solutions.

1.        Will I need to pay a deposit when I establish service?

a.        Deposits are based on local and long distance charges, and are required to start new service.  In some cases, a letter of credit from a previous phone company or a credit check can take the place of a security deposit.

2.        How do I place an order for new or additional service?

a.        Online

b.        By phone 1-800-421-5711, 8 a.m.-6 p.m., Mon.-Fri.

c.        In one of our office locations, 8 a.m.-6 p.m., Mon.-Fri.

3.        Why is my bill higher than I expected?

a.        Bundled pricing does not include taxes, fees, or surcharges.  Please refer to the second page of your bill for an explanation of all taxes, fees, and surcharges.

4.        What is a physical E-911 address?  Why do I need it to start services?

a.        E-911 stands for Enhanced 911. E911 is a North American telecommunications based system that automatically associates a physical address with the calling party's telephone number, and routes the call to the most appropriate Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) for that address. The caller's address and information is displayed to the call taker immediately upon call arrival. This provides emergency responders with the location of the emergency without the person calling for help having to provide it. This is often useful in times of fires, break-ins, kidnapping, and other events where communicating one's location is difficult or impossible.

b.        Your E-911 location address is required for phone service because it gives emergency personnel a site location of your physical address.

5.        What do download and upload speeds mean?  What are their measuring units?

a.        Download speed is the speed at which you can down load web page, music or films. Upload speed is the speed at which you view WebPages.

b.        All information you send or receive over the Internet is bits of data, whether it's a web page, an email, a music track or a video clip. Each element of data is a different size and is measured in Kilobytes (KB), Megabytes (MB) or Gigabytes (GB). The average email is around 4KB, a digital photo around 1MB and a music track around 5MB (1MB=1024KB, 1GB=1024MB).

6.        How do I check the rate of calling to international countries?

a.        Online

b.        By phone 1 800-421-4711, 8 a.m.-6 p.m., Mon.-Fri.

c.        Stop by one of our office locations, 8 a.m.-6 p.m., Mon.-Fri.

7.        What happens to my service when my contract has expired, how can I cancel or extend my service?

a.        When the agreement is due to expire, the service will be extended  month to month automatically unless you have informed your provider to cancel it. After your agreement term, you are entitled to cancel your service at any time.


8.        Why can I not dial 1-800/888/866 numbers?

a.        You may not be subscribed to make such calls.  Please call customer service at 1 800-421-4711, 8 a.m.-6 p.m., Mon.-Fri. to find out how you can subscribe.  An additional deposit may be required.

9.        Why does my phone have a stutter tone instead of a regular dial tone?

a.        You have a voicemail message.  If you have checked all your voicemail message and still do not have a regular dial tone, please call technical support toll free 1-800-400-1273.  You can also dial 611 from your landline phone.

10.     Can I get internet service without a phone line?

a.        In the Copper Valley Telephone and Valley Telephone serving area, a phone line is required to get internet and/or digital television.

b.        In the Valley Connections serving area (Willcox and Safford city limits), you are able to have internet without a phone line.

We now havw available an "Essentials Discount" for the security of a home phone without the cost. The "Essentials Discount" transforms your home phone into a dedicated Outbound 911 & 611 line and saves you $25.00 per month.

11.     How do I cancel my Valley Telecom Group service?

a.        Are you receiving the best value with Valley Telecom?  Get discounts when you bundle your services.

b.        Are you moving?  Transferring your service is easy as one telephone call, at 

c.        Are you going on vacation?  You can temporarily suspend your service and paper little to nothing while you're gone.  Call customer service at 1 800-421-5711.

d.        To report a trouble, you can call our technical support department at 1 877-882-6386.

e.        To cancel Valley Telecom Group service, contact customer service at 1-800-421-5711, 8 a.m.-6 p.m., Mon.-Fri. 

12.     How do I request a repair for my local telephone service?

a.        You can call our service center toll free 1 800-400-1273. 

13.     How do I request a repair for my high-speed internet?

a.        You can troubleshoot problems with your high-speed internet by calling our technical support department, toll free, at 1 877-882-6386. 

14.     How do I request a repair for my digital television?

a.        You can call our technical support department, toll free, at 1 800-400-1273. 

15.     Where can I find operating instructions for Valley Telecom Group's calling features?

a.        You will be able to download instruction guides for Valley's most popular calling features soon.

16.     How do I change the name on my Valley Telecom Group account?

a.        To change the name on your Valley bill or to authorize another person on your account, the account holder must call Valley at 1-800-421-5711.

17.     How can I reduce the number of telephone solicitation calls I receive?

a.        Contact the Direct Marketing Association to have your name removed from the telephone solicitation lists.  Write to: Telephone Preference Service, C/O Direct Marketing Association, Inc., PO Box. 9014, Farmingdale, NY 11735-9014

b.        Tell solicitors you want to be added to the caller's do-not-call list and do not want to receive any further solicitations from that person or entity. The person or entity making the call must keep a record of your do-not-call request for ten years from the time of your request and may not make further telephone solicitations to your home. However, tax-exempt nonprofit organizations are not required to keep do-not-call lists

c.        Sign up on the National Do Not Call Registry.

18.     Can I check my Valley Telecom Group e-mails away from home?

a.        If you have access to internet service you can check your Valley Telecom Group e-mail at

19.     How do I use Voicemail?  How do I check my messages away from home?

a.        Set up and user instructions will be available here soon. You can call our Technical Support at 1-800-400-1273.

20.     What is a PIC freeze?  How do I add or remove a PIC freeze from my account?  What should I do if my long distance was changed without my authorization?

a.        PIC stands for Primary Interexchange Carrier, which is another way of saying interstate long-distance carrier.  At your request, Valley can place a PIC freeze on your phone line to prevent your long distance service from being switch to another provider by anyone but you

b.        To add or remove a freeze from your account, please call customer service at 1-800-421-5711, 8 a.m.-6p.m. Mon.-Fri.

c.        If your long distance carrier was switched without your knowledge or permission, please call customer service at 1-800-421-5711, 8 a.m.-6p.m. Mon.-Fri.

21.     When do I need to pay my bill?

a.        To avoid late fees, you should pay your bill on or before the ?Past due after? date listed on the first page of your bill.  If there is a ?Balance Forward? from the previous month, please pay this amount and the ?Total Current Charges? to avoid late fees.

b.        If your billing cycle starts on the 1st, your payment is due the 20th of every month.

c.        If your billing cycle starts on the 15th, your payment is due the 5th of every month.

d.        If your billing cycle starts on the 20th, your payment is due the 1st of every month.

e.        You can pay your bill online, over the phone, in office, or sign up for Automatic withdrawals  from a savings or checking account.

22.     How can I change my long distance carrier?

a.        Call customer service at 1-800-421-5711, 8 a.m.-6p.m. Mon.-Fri.

23.     How do I get my services turned back on after late payment?

a.        The past due amount must be paid in full to get services restored.  Reconnect fees may apply.

24.     What if I'm unable to pay my bill this month?

a.        Please call customer service at 1-800-421-5711, 8 a.m.-6p.m. Mon.-Fri to discuss payment arrangements.  Payment arrangements can only be made once every three months.  Calling promptly to discuss payment arrangements may prevent a disruption in your service.

25.     What is Wire Maintenance?

a.        Wire Maintenance is an optional line maintenance program that covers the telephone wiring and jacks inside your home in case of damage.  With wire maintenance you are not charged for service calls to repair your inside wire and jacks.

26.     When will I be charged for a repair?

a.        If a Valley technician makes a visit to your home and finds the problem is with the Valley equipment (outside your home), the repair will be made at no charge.  If the technician determines the problem is not with the Valley equipment, then the problem most likely exists with the jacks and wiring in your home and you will be charged a $80 trouble isolation charge.  If you choose to have the technician make the repair in your home, you will also be billed for time and materials.  Any charges incurred will appear on your next monthly bill.

b.        If you have a wire maintenance plan, there is no charge for trouble isolation or repairs made to existing jacks and wiring.

27.     What options do I have for inside telephone wiring or jack installation?

a.        You have three options for inside wiring. Choose the one that best meets your needs:

b.        Experienced Valley Telecom Group technicians can install inside wiring or jacks. Call customer service for rates. 1-800-421-5711, 8 a.m.-6p.m.

c.        Hire an experienced independent contractor.

d.        Do the installation yourself.

28.     How can I change the number of rings I hear before my voicemail answers?

a.        Please call our Service Center Department to change the ring cycle of your voicemail at 1-800-400-1273, 7a.m.-5p.m. Mon.-Fri.

29.     Why do some calls not display on my Caller ID?

a.        If a call is blocked by the caller, then the Caller ID unit will display "private", "anonymous", or "blocked".  If the call was unidentified because the call originated from lines that are not Called ID equipped, then the Caller ID unit will display "unavailable", "out of area", or "unknown".

30.     How do I block private or anonymous numbers from calling my phone number?

a.        Call customer service to subscribe to the Anonymous Call Rejection feature.  Once subscribed, you can activate and deactivate the feature at any time.  To activate, simply lift the receiver and press *77.  To deactivate, pick up the receiver and press *87.                  

31.     Where can I order more telephone directories?

a.        You can order more telephone directories by calling 1-877-2-GET-DEX or by visiting Dex on the internet at

32.     What is the difference between a non-listed and non-published telephone number?

a.        Non-listed number: Your name, phone number and address are not listed in the phone book but is still available through directory assistance

b.        Non-published number: Your name, phone number and address listing is omitted from the phone book and is

unavailable through directory assistance

33.     What discounts are available for low income customers?

a.        Valley Telecom Group offers Lifeline assistance and Link up assistance.

b.        Lifeline benefits qualified customers through a reduction of monthly rates for local service.  You must receive one or more of the following benefits to qualify.  Medicaid, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Federal Public Housing Assistance, Section 8 Federal Housing Assistance, Low Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP).

c.        To sign up for these discounts, please call Customer Service at 1-800-421-5711  for more information. 

Bottom Twitter Facebook email Community Center VTC Valley News Online Support Check your email
Phone: 800 421 5711 Phone: 800 421 5711